Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Goals

I bought this car because I missed driving top-down with a manual, plus the fact that I realized the limitations of the Fit for the track. I'm also realizing that I don't want to compromise that car too much, I need to keep it as a workhorse. I need something to elevate my track driving, and give me an outlet to pursue the challenge of compromising a car.

Around the time I was coming to these realisations, Mazda released the Superlight. Some surfing provides (a) (b) the following specs:

2009 Mazda MX-5 Superlight Specs
Curb Weight: 2193lb (995kg)
Engine: MZR 1.8 petrol
Horsepower: 124 bhp (126 PS @ 6500rpm)
Torque:123 Lb-ft (167 Nm @ 4500rpm)
Power to Weight: 17.69 #/bhp (calc)
0-60:
0-100 kph: 8.9s
Brakes: 300/280mm
Braking from 60(?):
Tire: 205/45 R17
Lateral G:
Mileage: 37.34mpgus {44.8 mpgimp 6.3 l/100km (euro test cycle)}
CO2: 150g/km
Price: ?? $50k ??
Road legal: Not VA


I like the car, it looks cool; and I was a big fan of the mono-posto (link) when it first came out. Although, Reading through the write-ups on the Superlight, I decided Mazda 'missed the boat.' 8.9s 0-60? 2200#s? Come-on! Many people have pointed out that the 94+NA, is lighter and probably as fast (faster?); plus considerably cheaper. More than one professional blogger has state how 'tempted' they are to make a superlight, considering how cheap NA's are. Well, I've stuck $3500 where my mouth is. Here is what I'm hoping to acheive... which in a nut shell is: showing up mazda.

Tim's 94:
Curb Weight: 1950lb
Horsepower: 120 - 130 whp (?) (150 whp turbo?)
0-60: 6.5 - 7.0s
Braking from 60(?):
Lateral G: 1.0
Mileage: 40.0 mpgus
Price: $3500 + ?
VIR Laptime: 2m 30s
Road legal: Yes

Now, I will make the stipulation that I may meet all of these goals on two seperate set of wheels/tires. Honestly, the 40mpg bit is probably going to be the hardest. Also, I can't go 'winsheildless'... VA state regulations require a 'windshield' in all cars manufactured after 1973(?). Then again, they don't require how big it has to be. :D So, for right now, I haven't decided if I'll remove the windsheild, especially since it'll make my hardtop 'inoperable'. It might be something I do a couple years down the line.

After reading www.lightweightmiata.com, I'm fairly confident I can reach my weight goal without removing the windsheild, so I'll start there.

No comments:

Post a Comment