Monday, April 4, 2011

OneLap Preparation #2

Whew! This weekend was a whirlwind for me, including 12hours in the shop working on the miata. She seems determined to make us earn her respect... or maybe she's just mad about sitting in the parking lot for so long.

We got the airbag computer fixed, finally on Saturday night after a long session of plug and check and diagnose. I've learned more about that system than I care to have. We installed some CGLock seat belt tensioners late Sat night to feel like we accomplished something else.

So, Sunday morning we went to work on replacing the brake pads, swapping in the new-used sway bars and finishing the airbag computer re-install. The bars took longer than expected, and required some shimming on the front bar. Also, it turns out the car already had aftermarket bars on it, albeit with smaller diameters. So we ended up with an upgrade after all; which makes me all the happier about not buying new ones. Although getting them into place with the new endlinks took a bunch of work that my pansy-sitting-on-my-whatoosie-in-front-of-a-computer-code-monkey bottom isn't used to. I enjoyed each minute of it, even knocking my head into the suspended rear brake caliper a total of 3(!) times.

However, we did find a cracked rear piston boot, and with the other assorted difficulties will have to lean on R&R to finish up preparations on the car before Robert's track day on Sat/Sun. Like I said, it's good to have their support, and experienced hand checking over the car before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment