Friday, April 1, 2011

OneLap 2011 Intro

So, a funny thing happened on my way to a life-change. It looks like I won't be able to run OneLap after this year for a couple of years, so I sent an RFI to the usual car nuts I know. Eventually, a close friend from way back expressed some interest, and then (more importantly) managed to get spousal approval. I also go some interest from another friend, but he wasn't sure he'd be able to put things together.

Originally I planned to use the Fit again. However, after some consideration about the life-change, some introspection about not wanting to be last again, and then having someone vandalize the miata... I finally pulled my thoughts together and have decided to take it to OneLap this year.

Robert and I have some work to do to get it ready. We'll need to add back some of the interior, and figure out a way to play some tunes (an area Robert is quite qualified to assist in). I'm also going to toss a new set of rotors and pads on (moving up to HP Plus'), get some stiffer sway bars, and do a clutch change. I can't tell for sure, but I think the car is still on it's original clutch @ 175kmi.

Robert and I are also going to try and do this on a tight budget. Life-changes tend to shrink the excess income situation, plus I've been interested in trying this out after hearing people complain that they couldn't afford to do OneLap. So we're going to look into ways to reduce the costs of hotels, and food. The miata is already pretty good on gas, and a couple of the transits aren't going to leave much option other than sleeping in the car. As for food, bringing some of it along will be a little tough in such a small car, but not eating fast food the whole time will help our wallets and our waistlines.

So, that's the plan... for now. We're still gathering things together and working out how we're going to pull this off. Fortunately, we've gotten at least one sponsor: R&R Automotive who have offered to provide free lift time, and 'at cost' pricing on parts. They've been good to me over the years, keeping some expensive BMW's going, along with most of the rest of my mini-fleet of cars; and I look forward to having their logo on the miata's hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment