Friday, April 29, 2011

Day: 0

Today was tech inspection. We started the day after a 4 hour rest at 7am this morning, and hit the TireRack just before 9, ending up as a part of a convoy of 2 with Jim Roberts as the first cars there. :). I will admit to being a little over eager.

The tech inspection really has less to do with checking every nook, cranny, and nut and bolt. It's really your responsibility to make sure your car is setup and ready for this event. Instead it is more about managing the stickiness of stickers, and the predisposition of the (ever present) wind to make placing those stickers as difficult as possible. Hopefully you'll agree that we managed to triumph over the efforts of the wind with some success.



We ended up taking up most of the time, as we needed to put the last few R&R Automotive website address graphics to the car; and all the individual letters required some patience to complete correctly. As we were finishing that up, the Dunlop Brand Manager and two assistants walked up with two goody bags of swag and four stickers to put on the car! Heck ya! I'm glad that I followed the advice about these tires in comparison to the Kuhmos that Stephen Burke and Tim Harper from the Rochester DSM / Magnus Motorsports crew posted last year before their second One Lap!

It's been a lot of fun catching up with everyone that I met in 2009, around the paddock and during the driver's meeting. Some people are surprised to see me back, since I expected my run in 2009 to be a one-time deal. What can I say? Maybe, I'm a smoother talker and better salesman than I give myself credit for. Regardless, I know that I found *very* wonderful wife, who isn't a 'fixed in stone' type; a woman who knows me and makes me happy. Hopefully the same can be said of me.

None-the-less, all my OneLap friends seem to miss the Fit... ALOT. Brock even asked where his Fit was! They apparently, would have preferred that I brought it instead of the Miata. I'm not so sure it would have stuck out as much among the cast of Econo cars assembled this year... other than being soo slow ;).

Unfortunately not everything is "happy go lucky", "friends and stickers" for us. We've got some extended-family issues that we're keeping an ear to the ground about. Nothing any of you, dear readers, need to worry about. But, we'd appreciate it if you kept us in your hearts and prayers.

On a more lighted note, Robert is currently hacking up our recently acquired intercom and other recently acquired radio shack headphone jacks in order to get it to work. He seems to be in his element... although I'm sure he'd prefer to be relaxing in other ways.

That's about it for now. I'll try to update y'all about our doings tomorrow.

(edited to add a link to the RochesterDSM/Magnus Motorsports blog. Check them out, Tim and Steve are first class guys!)

No comments:

Post a Comment