Thursday, May 5, 2011

Robert's First Post

I sent Robert and invitation to have access to posting the blog. He was, indifferent about blogging initially. However, he's finally be goaded into it, but it's too tough to get him access right now... so I'm just going to post what he started writing on Wednesday night on the road below (and finished tonight), with no further editing:

Robert here,

so as Tim stated earlier, I ran both sessions at Daytona yesterday. It was definitely an exilarating experience going around the high bankings and being pushed into your seat by the g-forces at 100+mph. I can only image what it must feel like at 200mph! The first session was very exciting. I spun trying to figure out how fast I could take turn 7 on my first timed lap, so I had to let the VW TDI that was behind me pass before I could get back onto the track. Once there, I was able to slowly reel in the TDI. Meanwhile, a Corvette went into the tirewall at the "bus stop" causing him and the Porsche behind him to go through the pits and get behind me. The Porsche then caught up with me in the infield and I gave him the pass by on the infield straight. He then caught the TDI and passed him on the high banking. I Finally caught the TDI myself at the exit from the infield on my third lap. He kindly moved up to the top of the bank and gave me the pass by so I ended up passing him on the inside of the high bank. After I passed him, he slide in behind me right on my bumper and drafted me all the way down the straight and into the braking zone for the "bus stop" talk about super exciting!

In the afternoon session I pushed my braking zone for the "bus stop" too far on my second lap and spun right at the entrance to the bus stop, kicking up a ton of dust, some of which got into the car. when the dust cloud cleared, the corner worker waived me back out and I put in a good remaining lap and a half. I was admittadly pretty bummed that I spun both sessions but I was happy to find out I still managed to shave 12 seconds off my lap time from my first session!

No comments:

Post a Comment