Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Day: 3

Robert and I decided to sleep in today since I knew CMP, and that we wouldn't be off for a while. We got to the track around 8:30, and the first group was just getting off. Unfortunately, later in the runs a porsche blew its whole coolant system across a quarter of the track. So I didn't go off until noon. I had a great time throwing the miata around the track... although I and the tires crested their peak at the start of the third lap. So, i dialed back & calmed myself and finished out the last 3/4 at good pace. Looking at the times I'm pleased... it showed a 22sec improvement over my run of the course two years ago in the Fit!

A lot of attrition increased our points hall even though we were only faster than a couple cars.

The second session started a tad late, and the Autobarn Mazdaspeed2 blowing up slowed things further. My run was good, and a tweak to the tire pressures helped manage them over the run. I couldn't quite get myself to take the kink flat out... since I was having a little trouble judging the turn-in while thinking about keeping it flat. But I did manage just a squeeze off, and the full throttle through it, ending up exiting around 95mph indicated.

Meanwhile, Robert was putting the excellent diagnosis skills he learned at R&R Automotive to assist the 535i... the *turbo* 535i... that was having inspecific engine problems. With his help, they get the car buttoned up in time for the second run of CMP.

We ended up shadowing the 535i half the way to the BMW Performance Center, since their engine happened to die just s they were passing us on the highway. We got there after a couple of roadside stops to let their ignition coil cool off.

Then I got to enjoy the madness that is the session at BMW performance. Because it's a late run, and everyone's itching to get in and out so they can get a head start towards the night's long haul... tempers are often short. I ended up landing myself in the middle of that accidentally by griding up a little bit early, then misunderstanding what group Brock wanted me to go out in. So I had to throw on my helmet and buckle in real quick. Dan and Mark of the timing and scoring team made sure I was safe a settled, despite be flustered. I did ok. The first lap wasn't great, but it was good. The second lap felt better, but there was still time to be had. I can't tell/remember if it's the same course as '09; but I did manage to shave two seconds off. All things considered, I'll take it.

When we got done, the 535i guys had followed Robert's suggestion that they move their coil pack to a cooler location. However, doing that they found one plug wire that was burned through, and another connector whose plugs seemed to have been pushed in. So, after I packed up the car, Justin (who owns the 535) and Robert hopped in to the Miata to take off to an Autozone that had the parts they needed to complete the fix. As such, we didn't end up leaving Greer, SC until 8.30pm. It looked like it was going to be a long night. I navigated Robert through the first couple of interchanges, and then took a two hour nap; during which we got a call from the 535i that they'd got the car running.

At about 10.40pm I took over. Despite a longish gas stop thanks to a closed Wendy's and McDonald's (that advertised late service), and stopping to check on the Optima Batteries Camaro that was pulled off on the side of the road just north of the Florida border (some kind of rear axle problem), we managed to pull in to Daytona at 3.30am. It's now a little after 4, and I've gotta be up at 7.30, so that's it for now.

-T

No comments:

Post a Comment