Saturday, December 12, 2009

And So It Begins...

With about an hour in the garage I've started the miata diet. The weight loss began with the easy things. Removal of the rest of the bits and bobs that came in the trunk (removed mud flaps, sun shades, koni adjustment bits, exhaust damper bob), and then came out the jack, the spare, the jack 'crank', the carpet, and the rear trunk carpet thing.

Then I moved into the cockpit, and pulled the center console, the sound damper around the shifter, the center console surround (after a quick chat w/ Greer, thanks!), and ze ra-a-dio (for all those people who have seen Stalag 17; and if you haven't, you better go Netflix it). I put the hazard and light flipper back in, and hanging for now. I may have to put the surround back in if I get HOA complaints. This'll also give me a chance to fiddle with the power window switch that's been giving me some trouble on the drivers side... and then I might figure out some creative way to re-mount it.

So, I've taken a bunch of weight out; although the wife wants be to put the spare and jack back in. I was also amazed at how much more audible the transmission and engine are with the eyeball vents, radio, and surround missing. Before you could hear the muffled gear selected click, and felt it more. Now it's unmistakable. Cool.

I looked at removing the door skins too, but had other things to get to, and so will leave that for another day. After the doors, most likely it'll be the top, rear carpet and parcel shelf. I'll keep y'all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment